Wednesday, April 29, 2009

All Better

For the past week I felt it coming and then bam Sunday afternoon I crashed into whatever virus has been going around. Trey put me to bed at 5:30 PM Sunday and lovingly told me to “go ahead and sleep it off, don’t get up ‘till tomorrow.” I thought to myself “whatever, I’ll just take a nap.” I remember brief moments of consciousness and swallowing whatever foul tasting medicine Trey put in front of me.

When I awoke, it was to hit the snooze button on my alarm which went off at 8:00 AM Monday. I drug myself to the shower, got dressed and went to sit in front of the mirror, willing myself to blow dry my hair. When that failed, after Trey’s prompting, I summoned the strength to punch the keys of my blackberry into an articulately worded email to my boss which stated: “Subject: Sick / Body: Not going to make it today” thereby breaking my golden rule of never call in sick on a Monday or Friday. In my humble opinion this was not good timing as we had a meeting with Trey’s school coming up and I was supposed to lead Bible Study that night.

I moved from the couch to the bed and back again all day hoping to sleep off the disgusting feeling taking over my body. I finally gave in and texted that I would not be at Bible Study. It was fortunate that I was available to arrange the details of having Trey’s car fixed and coordinate schedules for the meeting with Trey’s school which was luckily postponed as I did not feel better when I woke up Tuesday morning. I called in sick again on Tuesday and spent the duration of the day drinking Orange Juice, focusing on healing and realizing how I would much prefer to stay sick than to return to work. That afternoon Trey came home and we went to pick up his car. I rode to the bank, transferred funds (still painful to think about) to our checking, rode to the dealer, paid (ouch again), ate on the way home with Trey then fell back onto my couch utterly exhausted from this grueling workout wondering if I would indeed be ready to return to work as promised on Wednesday.

Then, suddenly, at 9:30 PM I hopped up feeling 100% better minus the stuffy nose reminding me that I wasn’t at the top of my game. I ran around cleaning Trey following me all the while fussing that I shouldn’t over do it. Did I mention that Trey’s parents and my Mom were due next week? All that to say: the human body is pretty stinking amazing.

No comments: