Sunday, August 30, 2009

To the Market We Go… The Camden Market




Today we went to experience the Camden Market. It was the farthest I have yet to venture since coming home from the airport. We are in Central London which is Zone 1 of the tube transportation system and the market is in Zone 2. We had to take two tubes to get there and because it was Saturday the tubes run more slowly and there is generally construction so the station we came in on was only outbound and would not be making return trips into the city. Fortunately we were with Kathy and she was able to tell us how to get to the tube station on the opposite side of the market.

When we arrived I was like, well great, waste of a day. I could have done this when we were in New Orleans. It was just punk clothes, touristy things (even I Love New York shirts) and drug paraphernalia. We got to the Camden Lock and got to see a boat coming through which was nice, that part of the area was pretty and then we moved into the part of the market I really enjoyed. They had all kinds of jewelry and many other things. One thing that I am dying for actually is a scarf as cliché as it sounds. There was one booth I found that had 100% silk cashmere scarves for £12 and I will have one before I leave I am just waiting for a good shopping buddy to visit. We toured around them for about two hours and then went through the food part of the market. There were so many things that looked delicious and we settled on this Turkish place after we sampled some of their amazing chicken. It was a great meal with couscous and salad. It was supposedly super cheap but it was still £13.


When we were done at the market we meandered to our newly discovered tube stop (on the Northern line) alone and managed to find our way to the Piccadilly which brought us home. When we got home I slept about 3 hours and Trey took a walk around the neighborhood. I don’t know if it is the jet lag or what but I am still really tired even though I am sleeping all night. I have also finally been getting a little achy for my family and my dog and I can’t really think about poor Anna not understanding why we’re gone without getting upset.


We had found this burger place in a book my sister-in-law had given Trey for graduation called “Not for Tourists” (which is a great concise guide) that we wanted to try. It is called Byron’s and is across the street from our tube station. When you come to visit us and you get homesick, this is where we go. This place was pretty modern inside but it played mostly oldies, had great burgers, fries and shakes and really hit the spot. They raise their own cows in Scotland; the meat is sent to the store in cuts and ground on location. The ground beef is served within 24 hours and served on a roll, man, it was a good burger. The shakes tasted like they had real chocolate, not syrup, in them and are huge (as they should be at £3.25 a pop.) We then walked through Boots (a drugstore but it has upscale stuff like Clinique too) and a shopping center that has our closest, but not cheapest, grocery: Waitrose. In the center were some booths and shops as well as a Super Cuts. When we got home it was about time for our last orientation meeting with the students and now I am calling it a day.

No comments: