Tuesday, December 29, 2009

We Have 48 Housemates

We've known it was coming. Jan Term. The shortest course period for the university we work for. We planned, we prepared, we laid out 48 fitted sheets, 48 flat sheets, 48 towels. The house was ready but were we? I have been thinking about Jan Term since the day we agreed to be a resident managers of this property in London. I would be 33 weeks pregnant with twins and 48 people would come to stay in a 6 story Victorian with us for four weeks. They descended on the house in two huge bus loads blocking off the narrow street we live off of in Central London. Everyone (except the hugely pregnant woman who carried the heavy driver tips only) grabbed the loads of luggage and threw them into the house fast soon as possible. Within two hours we had all the luggage distributed to rooms, all the baggage being stored at the house for a group who was leaving to travel for two weeks before coming to the next session checked, all the students fed, oriented and out to roam the city with their professors. It was a whirlwind.

The first night I managed to sleep as well as I have been considering the two babies kicking and pushing around. I woke up about every hour to every hour and a half and finally got up at 4:30. The whole night one group of students or another was up and about. The last time I heard the front door close was 6:30 AM. We had breakfast for the whole group in rotations from 7:30 to 8:45 then everyone was gone again for class from 9 to 5. The house actually doesn't feel that crowded most of the time other than the middle of the night and the morning because the students are gone all day and only have time to move around London in the evenings. We'll see if they keep up that pace of go, go, go for the rest of the month. Trey and I actually cooked and ate dinner tonight with only about four interruptions. One thing I can say is that I am very glad we finished preparations for the babies before this group arrived. Everything is ready to go other than a few things to pack in my hospital bag and those are at least on a list that both Trey and I know about so we can grab as needed.

I am still a little apprehensive about being able to keep up this pace for the next four weeks, however, it is fun to have several faculty and excited students around. I'm enjoying hearing about their adventures and it is nice to have Americans around.

No comments: