Thursday, November 5, 2009

Third Trimester!

The home stretch! I can’t believe the babies will be here in about three months! I still feel totally unprepared. So far we have no way of getting them from point A to point B and we only have a place for one of them to sleep. Thanks to eBay they both now have lots of clothes up to three months. I did make one retail purchase of some baby blankets, receiving blankets, towels and washcloths. I need a lot more blankets, some bottles, hygiene things and a first aid kit and a ton of other little things but I have a list so that always makes me feel more in control of the situation. The one thing I haven’t been able to find here are the plain cloth diapers that everyone at home uses for burp rags.

Trey and I have attended a few things for the twins clubs we joined. We first went to a Halloween party with the social club. We decided to volunteer as we thought we would feel strange standing around while everyone was watching their kids. They put us in charge of serving drinks (which was mostly keeping the children out of the Winter Pimms punch as it looked so delicious with its cut up pieces of fruit and cinnamon sticks. It was a really nice idea of them because there was a constant flow of people we could talk to. I even met and exchanged numbers with a lady who has 9 month old twins that literally lives around the corner from me. She gave birth at the same hospital I am going to and had lots of reassuring information.

The next event we attended was a lecture from a local author on multiples. We were really excited about it but it was kind of a bust. The speaker’s strongest qualification was having three year old twins and most of the information we already had. It did succeed in making us feel quite overwhelmed as they talked about how you really need to lean on your family and ask them for help over the first few months and how to make the most of your government grants, neither of which we have access to. One thing that was quite helpful was when she talked about having to be assertive with your healthcare. She told a story about how after her c-section she had one baby laying beside her and the other in the nursery. She called the midwife to come help her lift her baby in the middle of the night and the midwife responded “I’m already busy with your baby in the nursery.” She responded “well, I have another one here beside me and would you have me let her lay there and cry all night or would you come lift her so I can feed her?” She also talked about having to break the rules. For instance, most of the children’s clinics do not allow you to bring prams in. She recounted an experience where she was asked to remove her pram and she told the receptionist “excuse me, I have two babies, would you like to hold one so I am not in need of a place to put one?”

Most recently, I attended a coffee break at one of the mom’s homes I me through the twins club. It was amazing to be around three other moms and get to pick their brains. The woman who set up the coffee invited two of her friends that had the two prams we had been interested in. With the limited space in London there aren’t many on display. I got to push them both around but ultimately still am torn. One also gave birth at the hospital I am at. It was just really refreshing… and interesting with three sets of twins.

No comments: