Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ultrasound Update



Baby B (boy) who is sitting on top.



Baby A (girl) who is lying on bottom.)


If you have heard about our last ultrasound, you will understand why I was very wary of this scan. It was with the same consultant who had previously been so rough and hostile with me. I returned to her this week for my 25 week scan because she could not get the measurements of one of the babies’ face. I just hoped that last time she had been having a bad day and prepared myself to be stern if she did anything I was uncomfortable with.

When we were called into the room I immediately stated that we would like pictures of both of our babies this time. She said fine and we began the ultrasound. She was able to get all the measurements this time and still said she is almost 100 percent sure baby A is a girl but she is positive baby B is a boy. She actually told me a few things she was measuring and apologized when she had to push hard because one of the babies was turned away from her and there was no wand beating this time around. Overall, she was still pretty disconnected but she did seem to be in a better mood.

The babies were both moving around a lot (which I could have told you without the ultrasound) but they are again lying transverse (they are stacked horizontally across my midsection.) Baby A is very low and her head is about even with the sharp point of my hip bone. Baby B is floating around up under my rib cage. I also did not need the ultrasound to tell you they were stacked this way because it is a LOT harder to walk and move with them in that position. They feel a lot heavier than when they are side by side. Baby A started to slide up to my right side yesterday which made me very hopeful but Baby B did not get out of her way and after sitting cramped for a few hours she slid back down to her more spacious accommodations about four inches below him. We all need to pray they turn to a vertex vertex position (both head down) before it gets too crowded for an easy delivery. If they stay in this position I will have to have a c-section.

At the end of the ultrasound, the consultant asked us to step outside while she typed up her report. A few minutes later she entered the crowded waiting room and handed me the report and ONE picture of ONE of my babies. I just want to make it clear that these pictures are printed attached to one another in a minimum set of four. She literally had to tear off the picture and throw the rest in the trash. I looked at it for a minute then looked back at her and said “could I have a picture of my other baby also?” She said “I’m sorry, I only got this one.” I think everyone in the waiting room was looking at her and Trey and I looked so disappointed (I am literally thinking “and are you going to be there to explain when I have a 10 year old twin that asks ‘where are all the ultrasound pictures of me in my baby book’?”) She says hold on a second, turns, goes back into the room and returns with a lovely picture of our baby boy. VICTORY! Hopefully I never have to have a scan done by her again!

No comments: