Thursday, January 28, 2010

It Will Be Here Before We Know It!


I had my last doctor’s appointment before the birth of the babies today! Interesting side note for those interested in some of the different ways NHS handles healthcare from the States. I never saw the doctor weekly throughout the pregnancy. I arrived 12 weeks pregnant but did not receive an internal exam until I was considered full term for a twin pregnancy, the doctor’s appointment today. I requested a Group B strep test, performed at 35 weeks in the U.S., but was told that it was only done by request if an internal exam was taking place and because I happened to be having one next week I could request one then. The NHS deems it unnecessary. Today at my appointment I requested a Group B strep test and was told that it wasn’t performed here. Taking the advice from my UK friends, I was kindly assertive and said that I was aware but had heard that I could make the request to have one and would feel more comfortable if it was performed. The doctor looked hesitant but did it anyway and didn’t treat me any differently. I do know, however, that it wasn’t performed as thoroughly as it is in the States.

Ultimately, I was told today that conditions for labor looked favorable and she was very pleased with my progress. The consultant said if she had to guess she would give me four days, which would be Monday and booked me in for an induction on Tuesday, 4th Feb. I did my best to convince her that 28th Jan. sounded like a lovely birthday and even asked if I groveled, cried and begged if it would help. She said “I would very empathetically tell you no.” I really enjoyed this consultant. She is not on duty the day that I am scheduled to be induced until the evening and I am booked in for 9 AM. Due to the fact that they like to monitor twins periodically throughout the entire labor, if I have any signs of labor (regular contractions or water breaking) I am to go in immediately.

I will have to physically give birth in an operating room (called a “theater” here.) The reason for this is there is a chance that the second twin will find the long labor too difficult and there is a greater chance of a need for emergency C-section. If I go in on Tuesday, they will start by applying a gel and the consultant believed that with the state I am in currently that would be all it would take. However, if my waters hadn’t broken in 6 hours, they would go ahead and do that for me. If this didn’t begin labor, I would be put on a drip. The whole time I am in that early phase of labor I will be without pain medication and in a relaxed labor and delivery room. Once labor progresses I will be moved to an operating theater. I am not really looking forward to laboring in a highly technical environment but have no qualms about it as it is the safest thing for the babies. It is strongly recommended that I have an epidural due to the fact that a C-section is more likely to become necessary (although I wasn’t making arguments when it was offered) so I don’t have to be put under general anesthetic in the event of an emergency.

On a personal note, Trey and I still can’t believe that we can say “OK, sometime between now and Tuesday we will have babies.” There is a part of me that still doesn’t completely believe that after the pregnancy I will be a Mom and have two babies at home. The whole concept of birth still seems so foreign that I don’t truly believe my body will do it. I was in absolute shock when I found out today that I had progressed towards delivery (dilated, etc.) I don’t know when it fully becomes real and I imagine it takes time after coming home from the hospital even. I find myself full of babies that I can see on an ultrasound, hear on a Doppler, surrounded by things that go on babies or babies go in but that has been the case for months and now the realization is setting in that those things are actually about to become useful and those strangers are about to become family. I am sure this is the experience of many parents out there, I just never expected the sense of distance from reality after all the months of preparation.

1 comment:

connie said...

Hi Sarah,
What a joy it has been to be on this journey with your mom as we both have been anticipating becoming grandmothers of our daughter's baby/babies at the same time. But the greater joy has been the witness of the steadfast love and faithfulness of our trustworthy God to you, Trey and your mom...and He's not finished yet. Know that I will be praying you through delivery and beyond. This has been a blessing for me!
Special love, Connie H.