Sunday, June 13, 2010

How to Parent Twins When Your Back Is Out

So my Mother is probably going to kill me for posting this. My husband even said as he was taking the picture “this is just for our own personal memories right?” I agreed and had no intentions of sharing it with anyone. It was just a private record of a difficult time that I would whip out when I needed to run a guilt trip on our beautiful children but, it is just too honest and too telling of a moment in parenting twins that I couldn’t help but share it.

A couple of weeks ago I threw my back out. I literally could not even sit without being in excruciating pain. This is not a new thing; I hurt my lower back when I was 14 and at inopportune times the injury rears its head. It is kind of like an annoying relative (not that I would know anything about those… oh stink, if I can’t think of any maybe I’m the annoying relative…) that pops in unannounced. You don’t like it and you don’t know how long it will stick around but you know how to work it. I immediately began taking Advil (thanks to my sister-in-law Sam’s Beth who had just sent me an enormous bottle of it) and doing physical therapy exercises.

After three days, Trey sent me out to the doctor where they gave me some amazing muscle relaxers that are also prescribed for anxiety (as the Pharmacist was handing them to me she said “oh you’re gonna loves these”) which gave me not only some relief from the muscle spasms but also a much needed respite from freaking out about the fact that the four of us are living in one room with nowhere to live when we return to London after an 8 week trip home to the States coming up when we will have no income and I could keep going but if I do I will need more muscle relaxers.

Without further delay I give you this:



I do have to say, it makes me quite proud that when I am quite literally laid out, the multi-tasking continues.  Notice the twins are getting tummy time, I am getting to watch So You Think You Can Dance and that towel on the bed says that I still got a shower that day.  Even with the room that messy, I still feel accomplished.

1 comment:

Becky Kiser said...

oh sarah! i had no clue you threw your back out. i've been a little mia lately. i hope it's much better... especially before YOU COME HOME!!!! so so so so so excited to see you!

much much love!